Hinds County Circuit Clerk's Office
FIRST JUDICIAL DISTRICT
Circuit Clerk's Office
P.O. BOX 327
Jackson, MS 39205
Phone: (601) 968-6628
Map to our Office
SECOND JUDICIAL DISTRICT
Circuit Clerk's Office
P.O. Box 999
Raymond, MS 39154
Phone: (601) 857-8038
Map to our Office
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Monday - Friday
(Except on legal holiday)
Duties of the Circuit Clerk
- Serves as Clerk of the County and Circuit Courts (7 Judges).
- Receives and files all law suits, indictments, motions and other related papers in all Civil and Criminal Cases filed in the Circuit or County Courts and issues all process including summons and subpoenas.
- Draws Jurors and qualifies Juries. (You do not have to serve on jury duty if you are over the age of 65. You may call the Circuit Clerk's Office and be taken off the Jury List if you are over 65).
- Keeps a record of all Judgments and Executions.
- Issues marriage licenses and keeps records of marriages.
- Records medical and other professional licenses.
- Registers citizens to vote and has other duties in handling elections.
The Circuit Court Terms of the First Judicial District of Hinds County begin on the first Monday of January, March, May, July, September and November, and consists of eight weeks. The Grand Jury will meet during the sixth week of each term.
The Circuit Court Terms of the Second Judicial District of Hinds County begin on the fourth Monday of January, July and September.
The Circuit Court handles cases with no limit on the amount of damages and also felony cases.
County Court Terms for the First Judicial District of Hinds County begin on the second Monday of each month.
County Court Terms for the Second Judicial District of Hinds County begin on the second Monday in March, June, September and December.
County Court handles cases with damages up to $250,000.00. The County Court also handles misdemeanors.
- Filing Fee: $160.00 which in Hinds County includes a $2.00 Court Administrator's Fee and a $2.50 Law Library Fee
- Receipts: For your $75.00 filing fee, the receipt contains the style of the case, the number of your check or money order and the case number for your records.
- Copy of Complaint: Must be provided for each defendant for service on Defendant. Two copies must be provided for a Defendant to be served through the Secretary of State and the Commissioner of Insurance.
- Sheriff's Fees: $35.00 payable to the Sheriff of the County in which the Defendant may be served for each Defendant at a separate address, $1.00 for each additional Defendant to be served at the same Address on the same Summons. These fees are the same for all types of Process.
- Receipts for Sheriff's Fees: Must be obtained from the Sheriff's Office.
- Secretary of State Fees: Payable to the Secretary of State are: $15.00 for an individual; $15.00 for a Corporation; Same for all process - $15.00
- Commissioner of Insurance Fees:$25.00 for a corporation or an individual - Same for all process - $25.00
- First Offender Hardship: $160.00, can be filed only in Circuit Court
- Cases appealed from other courts or commissions: Filing fee is $82.00.
- Examination of judgment debtors arising from judgment of another county: Filing fee is $35.00.
- Foreign judgment act: Filing fee is $160.00.
- Pleadings: Must consist of an affidavit containing names and addresses of all parties and a copy of the Judgment Certified according to the Acts of Congress.
- Alias process: No fees to the Circuit Clerk - only fees to the Sheriff of the appropriate County and if needed to the Secretary of State or Commissioner of Insurance - same as fees of original process.
- Amended complaint: No fees to the Circuit Clerk, only Sheriff and if needed to the Secretary of State or Commissioner of Insurance - same as original process.
- Subpoenas: No Fee to Clerk, only fees to Sheriff, same as summons fees
- Discovery: May be filed in County Court, if so desired by the Attorney. MAY NOT BE FILED IN CIRCUIT COURT, unless it meets with the requirements of the attached Court Order.
- Abstract of judgment - Filing Fee: $5.00; Issuance - $1.00
- Marriage license: $21.00 CASH ONLY
- Certified copy of marriage license: $15.00
- Medical license recording: $5.00
- Transfer Fee: $87.00